The Elizabeth and George L. Sanborn Foundation for the Treatment and Cure of Cancer (The Sanborn Foundation) is a philanthropic foundation based in Arlington Massachusetts, offering financial assistance to Arlington residents living with cancer.
The Sanborn Foundation was established in 1998 through the bequest of the late Arlington resident, George Lowe Sanborn, in memory of his wife Elizabeth, who died of cancer in 1931. George’s will stipulated that when his last heir died, the money from the bequest be used to build a hospital in Arlington for the treatment of cancer. In 1996, the Massachusetts Probate Court ruled that the money in the trust (not enough to build a hospital) be used to create a charitable organization for Arlington residents living with cancer, and the Sanborn Foundation was born.
About George L. Sanborn
George Lowe Sanborn was born in Great Falls, NH, in 1858. His entire professional life was spent working in the hospitality industry, starting as a clerk in Boston and eventually owning hotels in New York City. In 1892, a widower with two small children, George married Elizabeth Sullivan. The family lived in Cambridge, Albany, and Manhattan before settling in Arlington MA, in a home at 92 Lake Street that is still there today. Elizabeth Sanborn died of cancer in 1931 and George remained in Arlington until his death on January 24, 1938. George and Elizabeth’s gravesites can be found in Arlington’s St. Paul Cemetery.
Board of Directors
The Sanborn Foundation is made up of nine volunteer Board Members and Officers.
Members of the Board of Directors are Arlington residents and would be honored to talk to their neighbors, friends and local acquaintances about the work we do.