Expenses Related to Cancer Care
Cancer is an expensive illness. The Sanborn Foundation helps Arlington residents living with cancer pay for expenses related to their care and treatment. Since its inception, the Foundation has distributed over $3,000,000 and helped lessen the financial burden for hundreds of town residents.
Some examples of past grants include payments for items such as:
- Prescription cancer medications not covered by insurance
- Over-the-counter medications (per Board approval)
- Doctor’s fees and co-payments
- Hospital charges
- Parking fees
- Medical equipment such as a wheelchair or lift chair
- Nutritional supplements
- Home health aides during times of transition (ie. from hospital to home)
- Hospice home care and residence fees
- House cleaning in preparation for stem-cell procedures
- Wigs, headwear, and mastectomy products
- Integrative therapies such as acupuncture, yoga, and massage
- Other expenses related to the cancer diagnosis
Please note: Living expenses such as rent or mortgage payments, lost wages, groceries, child care, insurance premiums, or utilities are NOT covered by the Sanborn Foundation grants
Funded by a grant from the Sanborn Foundation, the Arlington Council on Aging Transportation Program provides transportation for Sanborn recipients, of any age, to cancer-related medical appointments.
To arrange a ride, call 781-316-3400 and ask for the Sanborn Transportation Program. You will need to identify yourself as a Sanborn recipient, and provide your name, address, time, and location of your appointment. Please allow for two days notice, if possible.
The Council on Aging will arrange for a local taxi, Uber, or Lyft to pick you up, bring you to your appointment, and return you to your home when you are finished. Billing will go directly to the Council on Aging.
Integrative Therapies Policy
The Sanborn Foundation will cover up to $5,000 in expenses per 12-month period for the following types of Integrative Therapies:
- Acupuncture during active treatment for specific symptoms
- Nutritional consults (licensed dietician)
- Weight management
- Fitness programs including tai chi, qi gong, strength/weight work, core strengthening, and bone work
- Additional therapies are subject to Board approval
The Sanborn Foundation will generally not cover the following therapies or expenses:
- Medical marijuana (NCI)
- Dietary supplements, unless recommended by a physician
- Therapeutic sauna
- Body/somatic techniques such as Alexander or Feldenkrais
- Access Consciousness